Miller Waste now accepts polycoat cartons, such as milk and juice cartons (with a gable or tented top) along with tetra packs such as juice boxes. A wide variety of products can now be purchased in polycoat cartons, such as vegetable oils, wines, sauces, fruit and vegetable juices, soups, broths, milk and creams, pet foods, and even crackers.
Recyclable materials are picked up every two weeks in Callander at the curbside by Miller Waste. You can get more information on pick-up schedules for your neighbourhood at the front desk in the Municipal Administration office at 280 Main Street North in Callander. The following materials are accepted for pick-up:
- Paper Products: newspapers, magazines, catalogues, phone books, pamphlets, flyers (glossy & newsprint), fine papers, etc.
- Cardboard: cereal boxes, pizza boxes, kraft corrugated cardboard, tissue boxes, soap boxes, shoe boxes, toilet paper & paper towel cores, milk cartons, drink boxes, frozen food containers, etc.
- Aluminum and Steel Cans: all food & beverage cans, (please rinse and remove labels), aluminum foil, aluminum pie plates, aluminum take-out food containers, frozen dinner trays, etc. DO NOT RECYCLE – chip bags, butter wrap, cigarette foils, frozen juice containers, foils contaminated with oils or food or grease, tetra packs, juice boxes or foil blister-packs for fills, anything foils with paper or plastic bonded to them
- Glass Jars and Bottles: clear or coloured jars, wine and pop bottles. Please remove caps, lids or corks, rinse, and remove labels.
- Plastic Containers: all bottles and other containers displaying the recycling symbol P.E.T.E #1 or small-mouthed HDPE #2. Tubs and lids with wide-mouth plastic containers numbered 2, 4 and 5 (such as ice cream, cottage cheese, margarine, sour cream, yogurt, spreads & dips) and laundry detergent jugs. Tubs must be empty, clean and the lids removed. Both lids and containers can be placed in the blue box. Plastic tubs, pails and lids must be less than 5 litres in size and made of plastic only (no metal parts). Please ensure the containers and lids ore clean of all debris. DO NOT RECYCLE – plastic toys, planting trays, plastic muffin trays, microwave meal trays, plastic bags, clam-shell containers, plant pots, plastic egg cartons, screw-top lids. Containers with petroleum or pesticide residues are not acceptable.
- Aerosol Cans: cleaners, deodorizers, cooking spray, glues, bug repellant, spray paint, hairspray, shaving cream, etc. Please ensure containers are empty, lids are removed and place them in your Blue Box.
- Metal Paint & Stain Cans and Lids: latex paint, alkyd paint, varnishes, stains, primer. Please ensure the lids are removed, the containers are empty and placed in your Blue Box.