History of the Library
The Opening of the Callander Public Library
The Callander Public Library was first opened in 1935 on Lansdowne Street. This library was also used as the Township office. On March 17, 1979, the library was moved to Catherine Street in the Old Post Office building. Stan Darling(MP), Ben Bullock(Reeve), Nora Alkins(Librarian), and Lorne Maeck(MPP) were present for the ribbon cutting ceremony of the new location. Catherine Street still serves as the location for the library.
Nora Alkins was the first librarian and she remained librarian for many years. She was followed by Helen McDonnell and then Natalie Wilson. Alison Peden became librarian in 2000. Helen McDonnell returned in 2012, and has been CEO since.