The roles of Council and Head of Council are outlined in Section 224 and 225 of the Municipal Act, and are as follows:
It is the role of council,
- to represent the public and to consider the well-being and interests of the municipality;
- to develop and evaluate the policies and programs of the municipality;
- to determine which services the municipality provides;
- to ensure that administrative policies, practices and procedures and controllership policies, practices and procedures are in place to implement the decisions of council;
- to ensure the accountability and transparency of the operations of the municipality, including the activities of the senior management of the municipality;
- to maintain the financial integrity of the municipality; and
- to carry out the duties of council under this or any other Act. 2001, c. 25, s. 224; 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 99.
It is the role of the head of council,
- to act as chief executive officer of the municipality;
- to preside over council meetings so that its business can be carried out efficiently and effectively;
- to provide leadership to the council;
- without limiting clause (c), to provide information and recommendations to the council with respect to the role of council described in clauses 224 (d) and (d.1);
- to represent the municipality at official functions; and
- to carry out the duties of the head of council under this or any other Act. 2001, c. 25, s. 225; 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 100.
Executive Committees of Council
As soon as is practical upon taking office, the Mayor shall appoint Executive Committees of Council. Executive Committees shall be used to plan, discuss and make Recommendations to Council through the Committee of the Whole with respect to Municipal policy development. The make-up of each Executive Committee will include, at a minimum: 2 members of Council as Chair and Co-Chair.
Executive Committee members will run concurrent with the term of Council; however, this may be reviewed and revised annually if so desired. Council shall act upon the recommendations provided by its Executive Committees.
Executive Committee meetings shall be conducted in accordance with the current Municipal Procedural Bylaw 2015-1447 Being a By-Law to govern the proceedings of Council and Committees, the conduct of its members and the calling of meetings; as amended and as it exists from time to time.
Boards & Committees of Council
As soon as is practical upon taking office, Council shall appoint members to Boards and Committees to carry out specific tasks related to operation and maintenance of municipal assets. These Boards and Committees shall be composed of individuals from outside the Corporation and shall provide governance, advice and expertise within specific jurisdictions and on particular issues such as the development of policy and procedures planning documents to implementation of specific projects of importance to the Municipality of Callander. Council may choose to appoint a council member as liaison to any one of the Boards or Committees. A list of such Boards and Committees can be found on this website by selecting the Government tab then Committees.