A building permit is a license that grants legal permission to start construction of a building project. Building permits are required to construct or demolish a building greater than 10 square metres (108 square feet) in an area or install, extend or cause any material alterations to existing buildings
When Permits are required
Most common projects typically requiring a building permit, including but not limited to the following, are:
- New residential dwellings
- Decks, porches, sunrooms, boathouses, solariums
- Accessory buildings more than 10 square metres (108 square feet) in floor area
- Carports, attached or detached garages
- Main floor or upper floor additions
- Plumbing, change of use
- Retaining walls greater than 1 metre in height
- Replacement of roofing
- Damp proofing a basement
- Siding, fences, swimming pools
- Re-location or construction of load bearing walls
- Alterations to windows or doors
- Septic systems with flow of less than 10,001 litres/day
When Permits are not required
Projects typically NOT requiring a building permit
(please check set-back requirements):
- Accessory buildings less than 10 square metres (108 square feet) in floor area
- Painting and decorating
- Replacing kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing
- Free standing satellite dishes
- Replacing existing plumbing fixtures
Impact or Importance
- Within all shoreline areas in Callander, permits are important to ensure that certain environmental concerns with respect to the protection of Callander Bay have been addressed through the application of site plan controls, zoning regulations and the Environmental Protection Act. Before any construction or remodeling work begins, a permit must be obtained.
- Site Plan Control Agreements may be a prerequisite for obtaining a building permit on Callander Bay.
- Permits ensure that construction within the Municipality meets with standards set out in the Ontario Building Code (OBC). No matter what the specific project may be, the enforcement of OBC is carried out to protect the public health, safety and welfare of building occupants in accordance with the local by-laws and regulations.
Regulations & Process
- Visit or contact Callander’s Building Official through the Municipal office. Please note that a Permit – to fill, perform construction or alterations to or within any waterway – may be required from the North Bay-Mattawa Conservation Authority before a building permit will be considered.
- Submit the Permit Application which requires information about the construction project. Scaled drawings, plans or other documentation of the proposed work will have to be submitted for review.
- After the review process you will receive the results. If in compliance with code, zoning and other applicable regulations, the application is approved and permit is issued.
- The Building Permit is the document granting legal permission to start construction. You must proceed as approved in the review process.
- The person responsible for the construction project must request inspection visits. Notice in advance is required.
Municipality of Callander
North Bay – Mattawa Conservation Authority 705-474-5420